How do you go from working in education to construction and real estate?
I am always super happy when a Repurposer chooses to share their story of career change publicly. Sammy took the very first public version of my Repurpose Your Purpose’s unique course for people who want to change careers, but are not sure what they would like to do next. The course at the time was just a small portion of what it is now, and it already made an impact!
One of the things that makes Repurpose Your Purpose’s approach to career change so effective is that we go deep. Once we shift those deep-seated patterns, our clients’ career journeys look very different – even while they are still figuring things out.
After 10+ years working in education, Sammy Lyon changed careers and is now building affordable housing in Los Angeles. They bring the strategic leadership skills learned in the education field to the construction and real estate industries, learning a ton of new stuff every day.
How did they make the change? Watch Sammy telling me their story in this video.
Sammy and I talked about their experience changing careers. Here are some of the topics we discussed:
- How you get to choose what your transferable skills apply to – and then make the case for it
- When taking a break can be most effective
- What it’s like to just try things out…and find something you unexpectedly like!
- How unemployment benefits can cover education – and you could find your new career thanks to re-skilling
- The difference between looking for a career you want to have for the next 30 years vs. looking for something you love
- What it’s like to go through this time of pandemic and uncertainty after Repurpose Your Purpose’s group program
- and more!
Repurpose Your Purpose’s new and expanded Group Program to Change Careers is now open for enrollent. I will lead two cohorts, starting on June 2nd and 3rd. The deadline to apply is May 22nd. Find all details here.