On Monday May 20th I answered LIVE all your questions on how to change careers when you don't know what to do next. PowerToFly invited me as a guest speaker on their Chat & Learn series. I spoke about How to Change Careers and Repurpose Your Purpose. This was a jam-packed session, watch the recording below.
Psst: I am planning to be back for more - tell me in the comments what you would like me to talk about next!
Here are some of the questions I answer in the video:
- What if I really have no idea about what to do next? Where do I even start?
- How did you realize what you were doing wasn’t a fit for you, and how did you find, then choose, this path?
- How do I convince employers or partners that I'm the right person for the job, even if I don't have any experience that matches what they're looking for?
- When pivoting or looking to shift your focus in your next position, how much training or experience in that new area do you really need to make the change? Can the desire to learn or plans to gain knowledge be enough or should you wait until you can get training or experience requested?
- How do you pivot without losing the earning power your experience has brought you?
- I would love to make a career change to a career in the digital marketing realm, but I am approaching 50. I should probably be aware that my choices are limited as a career changer over 40. I have a passion for SEO, content writing and social media marketing. Should I be considering this options at my age?
I started Repurpose Your Purpose because changing careers, especially when you don't know what to pursue, is a complex problem that cannot be solved by reading one more book or following someone else's advice.
When I have been stuck in life, the one thing that really helped me has been coaching, more than therapy and definitely way more than school. But I was lucky: I got to work with deep transformational coaching. This is a practice that focuses on shifting the way we think about things, bringing about the kind of self awareness that generates radically different action on the part of the client.
Most of the time the word coach is used to refer to people who give advice and share information (such as how to update your Linkedin profile). Although I do also train and share information with my clients, the most important part of my work is to support them in finding their own truth. This is part spiritual, part psychological, and part skillful work. I work with very smart people, individuals who often know more than I do or have jobs that are extremely complicated. If they needed more information and knowledge they could easily get it. What I am an expert in is in guiding my clients through a process that (re)connects them to themselves, other people, and the world we live in. My work happens in the space between: once you learn how to access this space for yourself, combined with practical and effective action and communication techniques, you can (re)gain the power to deal with complex problems that go beyond the amount of information you can intellectually know.
I joined PowerToFly to answer live all your most pressing career changing questions. I shared my best tips, inviting participants to think deeper and differently about where they are at in their career and where they want to go. Watch the record at the top of this post, my tips are designed to help you apply your new knowledge and insights to your own career journey.
PowerToFly is an amazing platform full of resources for women in tech - and most of what we'll talk about will most likely apply to an career changer. So don't wait, watch the video! And let me know what you think in the comments.
And remember....Opportunities are everywhere!
Leave a Reply