In my work with career changers, I often hear from people who have been stuck in jobs they did not like - anywhere from a few weeks to a few years. Does it sound familiar? Are you scared to leave your job for a new job? And what can you do about it?
I went on Power to Fly's Chat & Learn Series to talk about How to Overcome Your Biggest Fears About Changing Careers. I answered questions live from participants, and shared some of my process in helping clients overcome their fears, including what to do if you are scared to leave your job for a new job.
Here are some of the topics I covered - including what to do if you are scared to leave your job for a new job:
- Why I suggest you approach changing careers as a process
- How to know when is the right time for you to change careers
- How to deal with the fear you might make the "wrong decision" when changing careers
- The reasons people change careers - and what you need to make a new career work for you
- Why I don't ask clients to take assessment tests in order to find the answer of what to do in their career
- The three key ingredients to change careers
- How I recommend you approach the decision of whether to go back to school
- Why you should "own your story" as a career changer - and how to do it
- Confidence, impostor's syndrome and taking the first step
- What to do if you are scared to leave your job for a new job
- How to find people and companies likely to hire career changers
- Why I am a big believer in Radical Acceptance
- ...and more!
How did you overcome some of your biggest fears about changing careers? Help fellow career changers by sharing in the comments!