All events and workshops are offered online. There will be no in-person events until further notice. Please be super safe and look for ways to contribute to and hold space for everyone. We are one big community ♥
May 28, 2020
How to Change Careers: Become a Solopreneur
An inspiring conversation about changing careers & working as a Solopreneur. Online panel discussion + meet fellow career changers.
If you are exploring working for yourself, this is the event for you. I invited 3 career changers who work as Solopreneurs to share their journey to entrepreneurship. A Solopreneur is a business owner who works alone, and might occasionally contract the work of freelancers or other solopreneurs as needed. Each of the panelists works completely online, which means they are location-independent. From writing for non-profits, to developing apps and consulting with top companies, discover how they make it work, even in this economy.
What does it take to discover what you want to do…and take the leap? We will talk about the inner and outer work needed to change careers and become self employed. Should you take the leap and quit your job? What about building a business on the side? Or maybe you have no choice…you lost your job and now it’s sink or swim.
No BS, no fluff, come ready to:
- Learn how to find a fulfilling career that WORKS FOR YOU
- BE INSPIRED by Career Changers who took the leap and now love what they do
- Dive DEEP into what it’s like to transition between old and new careers
- Learn from REAL people who are working for themselves
We’ll talk about:
- What it’s like to FIND what to pursue as a self-employed person
- What being a SOLOPRENEUR is really like
- How to overcome IMPOSTOR’S SYNDROM
- What it’s like to work ONLINE
- How to leverage previous EXPERIENCE and KNOWLEDGE into a business
- MONEY and starting your own business
- and more
Meet and hear from three Solopreneurs who changed careers and are now working for themselves.
Psst: This is NOT going to be your typical panel discussion
Speakers featured at past events:
- SHEANA AHLQVIST, PhD – User Reseacher and Principal Consultant at PhD Insights.
- REMA MORGAN-ALUKO – Director, Software Engineering at Fandango (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- JOE ALTEPETER – Strategic Innovations Partner at Downtown Women’s Center’s MADE by DWC and past President and Board Member of Social Enterprise Alliance – Los Angeles.
- ANTHONY BARCELO – VFX Supervisor for independent films and Senior Compositor for feature films, TV, commercials such as Star Wars VII The Force Awakens, Avengers: Age of Ultron, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and more.
- AMANDA BENDER – Senior Enterprise Account Executive at PowerToFly
- NIKKI BENZIMRA – COO at Doc2Doc Connect
- MICHELLE BLACKSHIRE – UI/UX Designer at Omaze (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- CASSIE BETTS – CEO MISLA.org and founder of District 2 (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- MICHELLE BRENNER – Senior Backend Engineer at ChowNow (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- MARTINE BROUSSE – Patient Advocate, Certified Mediator at AdvimedPro
- LISA MAE BRUNSON – Founder of Wonder Women Tech and Commissioner for Technology and Innovation for the City of Long Beach
- JUSTINE COCCHI – Techical Evangelist at Microsoft (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- PRINCESS SARAH CULBERSON OF SIERRA LEONE – Co-Founder of Sierra Leone Rising, Author, and Public Speaker
- MANNY FRAGELUS – Founder of CG Master Academy (CGMA)
- KATHERINE GAFFNEY – Founding Partner at Xcelerate Financial & Angel Investor (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- HOPE GARCIA – General Counsel of Tumblr (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- BENTE GENERAL – Technical Recruiter at IMDb/Amazon (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- CHRIS GOLDIE – Community Solar Operations Manager at Cypress Creek Renewables
- USHA GUDURI – Mars 2020 Subsystem Lead & Full-Stack Software Engineer, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- COOPER HARRIS – Founder and CEO, Klickly (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- BRETT HEEGER – Startup and Social Impact Attorney at Gartenberg Gelfand Hayton LLP
- JEROME HELTON – Relationship-driven Growth Consultant and Partner at StartupTAP.
- AYANNA WILLIAMS HENDERSON – Adjunct Professor of Business & Marketing at Santa Monica College and Director of Digital Marketing and Social Media Partnerships at Pop Social Agency.
- JOSE HERNANDEZ – Community Engagement Manager at Los Angeles Cleantech Incubator (LACI)
- TERENCE HONLES – Principal Software Engineer at Nexleaf Analytics
- BRENDAN HUGHES – Creative Director at Hairpin / HHD. Public speaker and performer.
- NADYA ICHINOMIYA – Enterprise Agile Coach at Sony Pictures Entertainment, Co-Founder of Women in Tech:Hollywood and CEO/Founder of the Solve For Equality by 2025 in Hollywood & Technology Initiative
- EMILY JAFFE – Software Engineer at Fandango (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- TIMIRAH JAMES – Developer Evangelist
- SARAH JUNG – Educator turned entrepreneur, Founder of As We Dwell and Faithful Artisans.
- IRFAN KAMAL – Vice President of Marketing at Aspiration,
- TIFFANY (BURGESS) KAMANI – Talent Acquisition Recruiter at NBCUniversal, Inc. (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- BENNET KELLY – Internet Law Center and Pro Bono Attorney for the Cyber Civil Rights Initiative (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- NICKI KLEIN – Co Founder and CEO of Betagig, a new platform to help people “beta test” their next career before deciding on a major and pursuing an educational path.
- KIRSTEN KOROT – Intuitive Coach and Founder of Nature Nurture events.
- CLARE LE – Director of Marketing and Events at the Los Angeles Cleantech Incubator (LACI) where she cheerleads on behalf of 44 startups working to save the planet.
- MILA LEVKOVSKY – Sr. UX Designer at Adobe – Interaction and visual design for next gen web and iOS apps. (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- DARREN MARBLE – CEO of CrowdfundX (CfX), a FinTech marketing firm that leverages a combination of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and digital marketing to help issuers acquire retail investors and shareholders at scale.
- MICHAEL MARTIN – Co-Founder and the Director of Public Policy at Free Machine and Head of Communities at SignalFire
- KAYLA MCCULLEY – Corporate Events Outreach Manager – West at Trilogy Education
- AMANDA MCGLOTHLIN – Co-Founder and Chief Design Officer at HQ Network
- ANNA MCNAUGHT – Founder The Liked Photo and Instagram Influencer
- STELLA MCSHERA – Founder of Equallet, the first comprehensive search platform solely populated with women-owned businesses.
- ZOË MELO – Social Entrepreneur with 15+ years of experience working with Social Design. Her mantra: A project only makes sense if it is good for people and planet.
- MITCH MIDDLER – Software Engineer and Computer Science Educator
- ANGELA MONTANO – Spiritual coach and prayer counselor. Founder of ReThink Prayer.
- RONNIE MOK – Sr. Technical Program Manager of Product Design at Hulu.
- KRYSTINA NGUYEN – Director of Strategic Marketing for SonoSim
- MARISSA PERETZ – Founder of Silicon Beach Talent (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- MARIA S. REDIN – Chief of Staff of Two Bit Circus.
- SARAH ROBERTS – Assistant Professor at UCLA and leading authority on commercial content moderation (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- JENNIFER SEGAL – Project Management, External Relations, Mission & Launch Operations at SpaceX (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- DEBORAH SELLERS – Business Development, Corporate Strategist, Entrepreneur & Angel Investor (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- MAX SILVERMAN – Founder of Canvas
- PHIL STOVER – CoFounded Blue Skies Unlimited
- KAMEALE C. TERRY – Co Founder & CEO at ChargerHelp!
- AMANDA WANG VALENTINE – MotiSpark Co-Founder & Fuse Executive Advisor at FUSE Corps, LA County
- JUAN SEBASTIAN VASQUEZ – Data Programs Manager, Office of Finance of the City of Los Angeles ; Data Instructor, General Assembly
- PRISCILLA VENTO – Founder/CEO at 30 Miles North (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- HAVA VOLTERRA – Co-Founder, CEO at Parsley (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- AMY Y. WAN, Esq. – Founder of Legal Bootstrap and Sagewise
- LEIGH WARE – Marketing Director at Quilt (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- GIANNA WURZL – CoFounder of Quilt (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- CHANG XU – Investor at Upfront Ventures (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- EMMA YEE – Senior Product Manager at Goodrx | Data