Now you can choose whether to attend most of Repurpose Your Purpose workshops and events to Change Careers either in-person in the Greater Los Angeles Area or LIVE ONLINE. Click on the event you are interested in and make sure to register on EVENTBRITE or sign up for the waiting list to join the group program to change careers (there will be an in-person group and a LIVE online group, depending on demand).
Looking for How to Change Careers, Repurpose Your Purpose original series of experiential events for career changers? Check it out here.
Tue September 24 – DTLA:
CHANGE CAREERS: Leverage Your Experience
***Please note: you are required to register at GA in order to attend this event – please do so here ***
There is so much career advice out there and most of it feels very black and white: never quit your job before you have a steady income! Always have a side hustle! Follow your passion and the money will come!
In reality, career changers follow many different paths to find a job or create a business they love. It really depends on the individual, the industry, time and place. This is why I invited four career changers who all do something different to talk about how they each navigated figuring out what to pursue and the real ups and downs of getting to it. And this panel also brings an extra special something to the How to Change Careers series: each panelist is an accomplished public speaker in their own right. What a treat!
If you are thinking of changing careers, feel stuck at work or in your business, or if you are ready to take your career to the next level, join us for an evening dedicated to choosing the path that’s right for you.
ARE YOU READY TO MAKE A LIVING DOING SOMETHING THAT YOU LOVE?
No BS, no fluff, come ready to:
- Learn how to find a fulfilling career that WORKS FOR YOU
- LEARN FROM SUCCESSFUL CAREER CHANGERS who already took the leap – and landed successfully
- EXPAND YOUR NETWORK
PANEL TALK + AUDIENCE Q&A + START EXPLORING HOW TO FORGE YOUR OWN PATH TO CHANGING CAREERS.
We’ll talk about:
- What REAL career change looks like
- What helps career changers take risks – and how to choose HOW MUCH RISK you want to take
- Being an employee vs. running your own business
- How to think BIG, instead of playing small
- MONEY and changing careers
- How to have INNOVATIVE IDEAS
- and more!
Meet and hear from professionals and entrepreneurs who changed careers and embarked chose to pursue professions or businesses that they love and feel passionate about.
Psst: This is NOT going to be your typical panel discussion
Meet the panelists:
NADYA ICHINOMIYA is an Enterprise Agile Coach at Sony Pictures Entertainment, and the Co-Founder of Women in Tech:Hollywood – a group of over 2,400 members. From working in sales management at IBM after graduation to becoming VP of Electronic Data Systems Germany (now HP) with full $33 million P&L responsibility, from working as a Hollywood TV producer and Literary Manager to her current role as Enterprise Agile Coach at Sony, Nadya has navigated multiple successful career changes. Her Women In Technology: Hollywood group is a cross industry initiative with 2,400+ members from the major studios, leading a steering committee from Disney, WB, Fox, NBCU, Sony & Lionsgate.
In 2016 Nadya received a Certification of Acknowledgement from Eric Garcetti, Mayor of Los Angeles, as the thought leader of both influential groups and panelist for the “Asian American Women’s Achieving Success Symposium” and in 2017 she was named one of the “Top 50 Visionary Women in Tech to Watch” by Innov8Tiv. Last, but not least, Nadya is the CEO/Founder of the “Solve For Equality by 2025 in Hollywood & Technology Initiative,” which will disrupt discrimination & bias by fusing the two superpowers of these industries (abilities to amplify/enable), creating an inclusive world where EVERYONE’S genius will be unleashed.
AMY Y. WAN, Esq. – Named one of the Top 10 Women to Watch in LegalTech by ABA Journal, Amy is the Founder of Bootstrap Legal, which helps real estate syndicators get legal document and advice more efficiently. She is also founder of Sagewise, which produces mobile games that reward users in cryptocurrency. Amy was previously Partner at a boutique securities law firm and general counsel of a real estate crowdfunding startup. Amy is also Founder and Co-Organizer of Legal Hackers LA and served as a Presidential Management Fellow.
MAX SILVERMAN is a product leader and entrepreneur working at the intersection of technology and culture. He is the Founder of Canvas, a platform that facilitates collaboration between artists and progressive organizations, co-founder of Free Machine, a nonprofit that uses storytelling to drive civic participation around policy issues related to technology and automation, and was formerly a co-founder and Chief Product Officer at Seed&Spark, a film-specific crowdfunding platform built to increase diversity and inclusion in the entertainment industry. He’s hopeful that the next decade will prove to be transformative in terms of how we assess the value that technology creates in our society.
IRFAN KAMAL is the Vice President of Marketing at Aspiration, an online investment firm with a conscience–created for the middle class, built on trust, and dedicated to combining profit with philanthropic purpose. Irfan is a product, strategy and marketing executive with over fifteen years of combined digital and product experience working with leading entrepreneurs and Fortune 100 brands. From working with Jeff Bezos, as a startup investment adviser/entrepreneur-in-residence, to the halls of Ogilvy & Mather, back to growing an exciting new startup, Irfan’s work has given him unique insights on the challenges faced by today’s career changers.
NIKKI BENZIMRA is a business woman and tech enthusiast helping to manage, build and develop websites for businesses and startups as the president and founder of Intuitive Development Group. Growing up in two successful family businesses, she jokes that she received her MBA at the nightly dinner table and continues to use those lessons to lead her businesses daily. Nikki has combined her tech and business experience to lead Doc2Doc Connect as the COO, from idea to launch in Los Angeles.
We are meeting at General Assembly in DTLA. Arrive and mingle between 6:30 and 6:55 pm, panel starts promptly at 6:55 pm, followed by audience Q&A. Then stay for guided group activities to get you started on your journey to use what you already know to do something new!
PARKING DETAILS: There are inexpensive parking options around General Assembly’s DTLA campus. Make sure to give yourself a few extra minutes to find parking and walk to the venue.
Speakers featured at past events:
- SHEANA AHLQVIST, PhD – User Reseacher and Principal Consultant at PhD Insights.
- REMA MORGAN-ALUKO – Director, Software Engineering at Fandango (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- JOE ALTEPETER – Strategic Innovations Partner at Downtown Women’s Center’s MADE by DWC and past President and Board Member of Social Enterprise Alliance – Los Angeles.
- ANTHONY BARCELO – VFX Supervisor for independent films and Senior Compositor for feature films, TV, commercials such as Star Wars VII The Force Awakens, Avengers: Age of Ultron, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and more.
- AMANDA BENDER – Senior Enterprise Account Executive at PowerToFly
- MICHELLE BLACKSHIRE – UI/UX Designer at Omaze (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- CASSIE BETTS – CEO MISLA.org and founder of District 2 (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- MICHELLE BRENNER – Senior Backend Engineer at ChowNow (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- LISA MAE BRUNSON – Founder of Wonder Women Tech and Commissioner for Technology and Innovation for the City of Long Beach
- JUSTINE COCCHI – Techical Evangelist at Microsoft (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- PRINCESS SARAH CULBERSON OF SIERRA LEONE – Co-Founder of Sierra Leone Rising, Author, and Public Speaker
- MANNY FRAGELUS – Founder of CG Master Academy (CGMA)
- KATHERINE GAFFNEY – Founding Partner at Xcelerate Financial & Angel Investor (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- HOPE GARCIA – General Counsel of Tumblr (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- BENTE GENERAL – Technical Recruiter at IMDb/Amazon (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- USHA GUDURI – Mars 2020 Subsystem Lead & Full-Stack Software Engineer, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- COOPER HARRIS – Founder and CEO, Klickly (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- BRETT HEEGER – Startup and Social Impact Attorney at Gartenberg Gelfand Hayton LLP
- JEROME HELTON – Relationship-driven Growth Consultant and Partner at StartupTAP.
- AYANNA WILLIAMS HENDERSON – Adjunct Professor of Business & Marketing at Santa Monica College and Director of Digital Marketing and Social Media Partnerships at Pop Social Agency.
- TERENCE HONLES – Principal Software Engineer at Nexleaf Analytics
- BRENDAN HUGHES – Creative Director at Hairpin / HHD. Public speaker and performer.
- EMILY JAFFE – Software Engineer at Fandango (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- TIMIRAH JAMES – Developer Evangelist
- SARAH JUNG – Educator turned entrepreneur, Founder of As We Dwell and Faithful Artisans.
- TIFFANY (BURGESS) KAMANI – Talent Acquisition Recruiter at NBCUniversal, Inc. (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- BENNET KELLY – Internet Law Center and Pro Bono Attorney for the Cyber Civil Rights Initiative (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- NICKI KLEIN – Co Founder and CEO of Betagig, a new platform to help people “beta test” their next career before deciding on a major and pursuing an educational path.
- KIRSTEN KOROT – Intuitive Coach and Founder of Nature Nurture events.
- CLARE LE – Director of Marketing and Events at the Los Angeles Cleantech Incubator (LACI) where she cheerleads on behalf of 44 startups working to save the planet.
- MILA LEVKOVSKY – Sr. UX Designer at Adobe – Interaction and visual design for next gen web and iOS apps. (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- DARREN MARBLE – CEO of CrowdfundX (CfX), a FinTech marketing firm that leverages a combination of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and digital marketing to help issuers acquire retail investors and shareholders at scale.
- MICHAEL MARTIN – Co-Founder and the Director of Public Policy at Free Machine and Head of Communities at SignalFire
- KAYLA MCCULLEY – Corporate Events Outreach Manager – West at Trilogy Education
- AMANDA MCGLOTHLIN – Co-Founder and Chief Design Officer at HQ Network
- ANNA MCNAUGHT – Founder The Liked Photo and Instagram Influencer
- STELLA MCSHERA – Founder of Equallet, the first comprehensive search platform solely populated with women-owned businesses.
- ZOË MELO – Social Entrepreneur with 15+ years of experience working with Social Design. Her mantra: A project only makes sense if it is good for people and planet.
- ANGELA MONTANO – Spiritual coach and prayer counselor. Founder of ReThink Prayer.
- RONNIE MOK – Sr. Technical Program Manager of Product Design at Hulu.
- KRYSTINA NGUYEN – Director of Strategic Marketing for SonoSim
- MARISSA PERETZ – Founder of Silicon Beach Talent (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- MARIA S. REDIN – Chief of Staff of Two Bit Circus.
- SARAH ROBERTS – Assistant Professor at UCLA and leading authority on commercial content moderation (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- JENNIFER SEGAL – Project Management, External Relations, Mission & Launch Operations at SpaceX (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- DEBORAH SELLERS – Business Development, Corporate Strategist, Entrepreneur & Angel Investor (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- PHIL STOVER – CoFounded Blue Skies Unlimited
- JUAN SEBASTIAN VASQUEZ – Data Programs Manager, Office of Finance of the City of Los Angeles ; Data Instructor, General Assembly
- PRISCILLA VENTO – Founder/CEO at 30 Miles North (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- HAVA VOLTERRA – Co-Founder, CEO at Parsley (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- LEIGH WARE – Marketing Director at Quilt (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- GIANNA WURZL – CoFounder of Quilt (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- CHANG XU – Investor at Upfront Ventures (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- EMMA YEE – Senior Product Manager at Goodrx | Data