Now you can choose whether to attend most of Repurpose Your Purpose workshops and events to Change Careers either in-person in the Greater Los Angeles Area or LIVE ONLINE. Click on the event you are interested in and make sure to register on EVENTBRITE or sign up for the waiting list to join the group program to change careers (there will be an in-person group and a LIVE online group, depending on demand).
Looking for How to Change Careers, Repurpose Your Purpose original series of experiential events for career changers? Check it out here.
ONLINE – Tue July 16 at 12 pm:
How to Overcome Your Biggest Fears about Changing Careers
Change is scary: change that includes the potential of financial loss, saying goodbye to old identities, and stepping into the unknown can be downright terrifying. And yet…if you don’t overcome your fears, you know what will happen: you will still be at the job you don’t like next year and then one after and …
So what can you do? Take a deep breath and quit it all? Wait until you feel confident? And how much fear is healthy fear vs. too much fear that needs to be overcome? How can you tell the difference?
Bring all your fears about changing careers to my next Chat & Learn with Power To Fly: we’ll talk about moving from fear to courage and from feeling stuck to getting into action to change careers.
Los Angeles – Thursday July 18
How to Change Careers and BUILD TECHNOLOGY THAT MATTERS
For this special panel discussion, I teamed up with LA Tech4Good – the largest group of social impact practitioners in Los Angeles – and the Innovation for All Podcast to talk about changing careers at the intersection of technology and society. General Assembly in Santa Monica is hosting!
Remember when “disruption” was a buzzword? Now that most industries have indeed been disrupted, we are realizing that technology has a far bigger impact on our communities than previously imagined.
What you choose to do with your career in tech has the potential to shape our society for decades to come.
Can we build technology that values data privacy? How do we build AI that fosters inclusion and diversity, instead of scaling biases? What does it mean to build inclusivity in your product from the get go?
This is not going to be your typical panel discussion. Come for a deep dive beyond tech skills and job titles and meet career changers who found a way to have fulfilling technology careers while tackling some of the most complex issues facing the industry. Then stay for a chance to connect and interact with fellow attendees. Leave feeling inspired and ready to embark or continue your journey to a new and fulfilling career.
Why It Matters: This panel will think critically about the important effects of technology on our communities and the topics we often avoid exploring when talking about careers in tech.
Through technology you can choose to have a positive influence: what will you create?
Meet the panelists:
JUAN SEBASTIAN VASQUEZ tackles big problems with creative solutions as Data Programs Manager at the Office of Finance for the City of Los Angeles. His role merges data analysis and visualization, storytelling, a wide network of web tools, partnership building, and a wealth of public speaking and project management. Last year he also started his own business during his free time offering freelance professional and educational data-centric services to clients such as General Assembly, First 5 LA, and Annenberg Tech.
AMANDA MCGLOTHLIN is the Co-Founder and Chief Design Officer at HQ Network, a Los Angeles space start-up providing digital security products and services for individuals and businesses. As a leader in tech, Amanda believes that privacy is a fundamental human right and that “Tech should be built for good.”
TERENCE HONLES is a Principal Software Engineer and chose to join Nexleaf Analytics to make a difference, after working at some of the top technology companies, such as Amazon, Google, Hewlett-Packard, and Microsoft. In his role, he is working on incorporating his expertise and the industry’s best practices into the development process and system design of Nexleaf’s current and future software endeavors.
In-Person starting on Mon July 29 OR Online starting on Sat August 3:
CHANGE CAREERS – 4 Weeks to Repurpose Your Purpose
This is Repurpose Your Purpose’s UNIQUE group program to change careers! I only offer it 2-3 times per year, it’s a lot of work to prepare and run. Find all dates, details and curriculum here. And choose between attending in person or online.
Speakers featured at past events:
- SHEANA AHLQVIST, PhD – User Reseacher and Principal Consultant at PhD Insights.
- REMA MORGAN-ALUKO – Director, Software Engineering at Fandango (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- JOE ALTEPETER – Strategic Innovations Partner at Downtown Women’s Center’s MADE by DWC and past President and Board Member of Social Enterprise Alliance – Los Angeles.
- ANTHONY BARCELO – VFX Supervisor for independent films and Senior Compositor for feature films, TV, commercials such as Star Wars VII The Force Awakens, Avengers: Age of Ultron, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and more.
- AMANDA BENDER – Senior Enterprise Account Executive at PowerToFly
- MICHELLE BLACKSHIRE – UI/UX Designer at Omaze (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- CASSIE BETTS – CEO MISLA.org and founder of District 2 (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- MICHELLE BRENNER – Senior Backend Engineer at ChowNow (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- LISA MAE BRUNSON – Founder of Wonder Women Tech and Commissioner for Technology and Innovation for the City of Long Beach
- JUSTINE COCCHI – Techical Evangelist at Microsoft (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- PRINCESS SARAH CULBERSON OF SIERRA LEONE – Co-Founder of Sierra Leone Rising, Author, and Public Speaker
- MANNY FRAGELUS – Founder of CG Master Academy (CGMA)
- KATHERINE GAFFNEY – Founding Partner at Xcelerate Financial & Angel Investor (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- HOPE GARCIA – General Counsel of Tumblr (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- BENTE GENERAL – Technical Recruiter at IMDb/Amazon (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- USHA GUDURI – Mars 2020 Subsystem Lead & Full-Stack Software Engineer, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- COOPER HARRIS – Founder and CEO, Klickly (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- BRETT HEEGER – Startup and Social Impact Attorney at Gartenberg Gelfand Hayton LLP
- JEROME HELTON – Relationship-driven Growth Consultant and Partner at StartupTAP.
- AYANNA WILLIAMS HENDERSON – Adjunct Professor of Business & Marketing at Santa Monica College and Director of Digital Marketing and Social Media Partnerships at Pop Social Agency.
- BRENDAN HUGHES – Creative Director at Hairpin / HHD. Public speaker and performer.
- EMILY JAFFE – Software Engineer at Fandango (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- TIMIRAH JAMES – Developer Evangelist
- SARAH JUNG – Educator turned entrepreneur, Founder of As We Dwell and Faithful Artisans.
- TIFFANY (BURGESS) KAMANI – Talent Acquisition Recruiter at NBCUniversal, Inc. (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- BENNET KELLY – Internet Law Center and Pro Bono Attorney for the Cyber Civil Rights Initiative (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- NICKI KLEIN – Co Founder and CEO of Betagig, a new platform to help people “beta test” their next career before deciding on a major and pursuing an educational path.
- KIRSTEN KOROT – Intuitive Coach and Founder of Nature Nurture events.
- CLARE LE – Director of Marketing and Events at the Los Angeles Cleantech Incubator (LACI) where she cheerleads on behalf of 44 startups working to save the planet.
- MILA LEVKOVSKY – Sr. UX Designer at Adobe – Interaction and visual design for next gen web and iOS apps. (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- DARREN MARBLE – CEO of CrowdfundX (CfX), a FinTech marketing firm that leverages a combination of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and digital marketing to help issuers acquire retail investors and shareholders at scale.
- KAYLA MCCULLEY – Corporate Events Outreach Manager – West at Trilogy Education
- ANNA MCNAUGHT – Founder The Liked Photo and Instagram Influencer
- STELLA MCSHERA – Founder of Equallet, the first comprehensive search platform solely populated with women-owned businesses.
- ZOË MELO – Social Entrepreneur with 15+ years of experience working with Social Design. Her mantra: A project only makes sense if it is good for people and planet.
- ANGELA MONTANO – Spiritual coach and prayer counselor. Founder of ReThink Prayer.
- RONNIE MOK – Sr. Technical Program Manager of Product Design at Hulu.
- KRYSTINA NGUYEN – Director of Strategic Marketing for SonoSim
- MARISSA PERETZ – Founder of Silicon Beach Talent (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- MARIA S. REDIN – Chief of Staff of Two Bit Circus.
- SARAH ROBERTS – Assistant Professor at UCLA and leading authority on commercial content moderation (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- JENNIFER SEGAL – Project Management, External Relations, Mission & Launch Operations at SpaceX (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- DEBORAH SELLERS – Business Development, Corporate Strategist, Entrepreneur & Angel Investor (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- PHIL STOVER – CoFounded Blue Skies Unlimited
- JUAN SEBASTIAN VASQUEZ – Data Programs Manager, Office of Finance of the City of Los Angeles ; Data Instructor, General Assembly
- PRISCILLA VENTO – Founder/CEO at 30 Miles North (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- HAVA VOLTERRA – Co-Founder, CEO at Parsley (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- LEIGH WARE – Marketing Director at Quilt (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- GIANNA WURZL – CoFounder of Quilt (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- CHANG XU – Investor at Upfront Ventures (with Women’s Voices in Tech)
- EMMA YEE – Senior Product Manager at Goodrx | Data